What is IPMI Platform?
Introduction to the IPMI Platform
The Intelligent Platform Management Interface (IPMI) provides remote access to multiple users at different locations for networking. It also allows a system administrator to monitor system health and manage computer events remotely.
IPMI operates independently from the operating system. When used with an IPMI Management utility installed on the motherboard, the ASpeed AST2400/AST2500 BMC Controller will connect the PCH to other onboard components, providing a remote network interface via serial links. With the AST2400/AST2500 controller and the IPMI firmware built-in, the Supermicro motherboard allows the user to access, monitor, diagnose, and manage a remote server via Console Redirection. It also provides remote access to multiple users from different locations for system maintenance and management.
|Supermicro IPMI Features
- Remote KVM (graphics) console
- Virtual Media and ISO images
- Remote server power control
- Remote Serial over LAN (text console)
- Event Log support
- Automatic Notification and Alerts (SNMP and email)
- Hardware Monitoring
- Overall health display on the main page
- Out of band management through shared or dedicated LAN
- Option to change LAN connection interface at Runtime
- RMCP & RMCP protocols supported
- Secure command line interface (SSH) and Telnet
- WSMAN and WS-CIM
- RADIUS authentication support
- Secure browser interface (Secure socket layer - SSL support)
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) supported
- DCMI 1.0 support
- Backup and restore the configuration file
- Factory defaults from web support
- Video quality settings
- Record video and play
- Server data/information
- Preview of the remote screen on the main page
- Update Firmware through browser and OS
More info about IPMI you can find here.
Was this answer helpful?